Everybody was Kung Fu Pandaing? Even Little Sammy would love this. Blizzard, developer of the insanely succesful World of Warcraft, has revealed the fourth expansion pack for WOW will let people play the massive online game as a race of giant humanoid pandas known as the Pandaren.
“Players have been asking to see the Pandaren in World of Warcraft since the game’s launch, and we’re excited to finally be able to give them a proper re-introduction to Azeroth,” Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment, said in the official announcement. “In addition to the new playable race and class, Mists of Pandaria contains a huge amount of new content.”
As is usual, Blizzard did not say when the new expansion would be available, but did offer that in addittion to the new Race of Pandas, it would include the following new features:
- Level Cap Increased to 90
- Pet Battles: Challenge other players’ companion pets with your own collection in a new tactical mini-game.
- New Zones: Explore the lush Jade Forest, treacherous Kun-Lai Summit, and other areas of Pandaria designed for high-level characters.
- Scenarios: Join up with friends to achieve a common goal, such as mounting a defense against invading monsters, in a flexible new type of Player vs. Environment challenge.
- Dungeon “Challenge” Modes: Master the ultimate five-player time trial to earn prestige rewards in a new dungeon mode.
- New Talent System: Customize your character to suit your play style with the newly overhauled and improved talent system.
Cataclysm, The last “World of Warcraft” expansion, was a huge success selling almost 5 million copies in its first month. And, although WOW has been losing players recently, it still boasts more than 11 million paying subscibers.